gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:00:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian-netbsd

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:15:37PM -0500, Chris Beggy  wrote:
> I'm splitting hairs here over sun's network boot sequence, which
> isn't fair.  NetBSD does it the way sun does it; debian does it
> their own way.  I can give you the details off line, if you like.

Still not quite sure I get where you're going.

On sparc--I haven't seen sparc64, but considering it's basically a
newer version of the same firmware, I don't see why it would be
different--we use OpenBoot to launch a second stage boot loader
which, because it needs to fit either on a floppy or in a bootp
packet, doesn't do a whole lot, but sets the processor and busses
up and runs the INSTALL kernel, which provides the services you were
talking about.

Is that not the way things behave for netbooting on sparc64? (If so,
I haven't a clue why not... it's the way they behave on sparc and
macppc, which, though significantly different machines in general,
are logically the same thing when it comes to this.) Do you mean
that they take advantage of jumpstart in some way that requires you
to type, say, boot -net install at the OK > prompt in OpenBoot? (If
Debian doesn't do that, how *do* they do it? We're talking about
Debian *Linux* here, right?))

You're welcome to reply privately if you like (though I'm not sure
why this wouldn't theoretically be of interest to a LUG :^>).

Note that: I'm not trying to pick on you here, just understand what
seemed strange about NetBSD/sparc64's installer; I haven't actually
*used* NetBSD/sparc64's installer; I've only netbooted NetBSD on
macppc and i386; and I've only netbooted (using jumpstart) Solaris 2.6,
2.7, and 8 on sparc64.

> I have no doubt the NetBSD'ers can do this!  Thanks for the
> pointer, and I'll know better than to use "can't" where I should
> use "chooses not to in the interest of prioritization" when it
> comes to NetBSD!

I didn't mean to suggest that having tools available to do something
was at all the same as providing something to do it, nor that it's
inappropriate for Debian, for instance, to provide pre-made some
potential output of those tools, just doing that is sort of not what
interests NetBSD folks. (Cf, my comments about Debian NetBSD being
a Good Thing conceptually, even if I don't quite agree with their
decisions on some points, a few days ago. :^>)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net