Chris Beggy on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:31:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian-netbsd

gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:15:37PM -0500, Chris Beggy  wrote:
>> I'm splitting hairs here over sun's network boot sequence, which
>> isn't fair.  NetBSD does it the way sun does it; debian does it
>> their own way.  I can give you the details off line, if you like.
>
> On sparc--I haven't seen sparc64, but considering it's basically a
> newer version of the same firmware, I don't see why it would be
> different--we use OpenBoot to launch a second stage boot loader
> which, because it needs to fit either on a floppy or in a bootp
> packet, doesn't do a whole lot, but sets the processor and busses
> up and runs the INSTALL kernel, which provides the services you were
> talking about.

Since you know the details, I think you'll appreciate this:

Debian uses the openboot firmware to directly fetch a
bootstrapping linux kernel image and root file system.  The image
is about 2.3M, and the size is only limited by sparc memory,
since it's fetched by tftp.  Bootp isn't involved, but some
things would be easier if it were. That's why I mentioned
"splitting hairs over sun's network boot sequence."  The two
stage bootstrapping is not a NetBSD issue, it's a Sun issue,
which Debian (Ben Collins rolls the image) deals with their own
way.

> Note that: I'm not trying to pick on you here, just understand what
> seemed strange about NetBSD/sparc64's installer; I haven't actually
> *used* NetBSD/sparc64's installer; I've only netbooted NetBSD on
> macppc and i386; and I've only netbooted (using jumpstart) Solaris 2.6,
> 2.7, and 8 on sparc64.

I am a fan of netbooting and rescue, too.  I know you're not
picking on me, because we're not talking about recursion in
scheme!  By the way, you can write your shell scripts in scheme
now :-) :

   http://www.scsh.net/

Chris