gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 4 May 2002 20:13:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PDF saga

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:30:37PM -0400, Art Clemons wrote:
> Really, find a nice standard page, one that meets W3C standards and I
> guarantee I can find at least one common browser that won't reproduce it
> properly.

How 'bout http://www.phillylinux.org/? Darxus tells us it's
completely compliant.

I guess if you set LANG=C and LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.ISO8859-1 it *might*
look funny, but only because your browser was misconfigured for that
locale.

> Maybe I'm cynical, but I've seen it happen all too often,
> when you add in all the folks still using Netscape 3.XX or lynx
> (incidentally, one can actually use Lynx to download a pdf file such as
> the one on Doug's page, slightly more work but even Lynx can deal with
> PDF that way) because they like it or newer browsers lack some feature
> said user like, you're asking for trouble whether the page is properly
> done or not.

Sure, and I could have used wget too, but that's not the point.

You're missing the point that jwz make so well though: HTML, in all
its standards-renditions, DEGRADES GRACEFULLY. If you don't support a
given tag, you ignore it, and it works just fine. It may not be in
your spiffy layout, but *if* you actually have content (by which I
mean text or graphics not flash stupidity), your content comes
through just fine. I don't do it, but it's *quite* possible to web
browse in Netscape 3 these days. There are some pages that just
don't show any content at all... but guess what, you probably didn't
want to see them anyway.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net