Sean Finney on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:43:35 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DVD frustration

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 10:25:06AM -0400, Paul wrote:

> >I've explained this before. It's really very simple. Whatever you
> >used to login (xdm, kdm, gdm, et c.) executes as root. When you, the
> >user, login, it chowns and chmods things to you. When you log out,
> >it chowns and chmods them back to root. It's presumed that you'll be
> >running X on a mostly-single-user workstation (why would you want X
> >on a server?), but it's completely configurable. Under standard
> >X11 stuff (read, xdm), the files are at:
> >
> So, when I start X, I'm basically giving up multi-user control over my
> CD-ROM drive?  Oh, unless I create a group to allow access again.

well, if you're using a distro like redhat's default settings, yeah.  in
debian, and i'm sure in others, there are already groups like 'audio',
'cdrom', 'vídeo', et c.  and xdm doesn't grab ownership by default.

i think in both cases you have advantages and disadvantages.  on a machine
that's primarily being used as a single user workstation, or if you want
to limit access to the devices to those who have physical (console) access
to the machine, the redhat way might be nicer, but for a fully multiuser
box, it might be a little more convenient/sane to just use groups.

--sean