Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:40:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] reading old jpeg format?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 09:16:11AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 02:20:01PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > File(1) says "data".
>
> Uck.
>
> What error message does ImageMagick give you? How 'bout xv(1)?
>
> Would you mind letting folks here (erm, me ;^>) play with the file?
> (Or does that compromise the "figure it out yourself" part too? ;^>)

No problem: <http://www.purple.com/image.bin>.

IM says: display: no delegate for this image format
(/home/jeff/public_html/purple/image.bin)

Package xv has no installation candidate, says apt-get. So apt-get
install xview-clients, but that's not it. Oh, well. It probably
wouldn't have worked, anyway. ;-)

> > Sorry, I should have said that. I also combed it with strings, perused
> > it with emacs in fundamental and hexl modes, and googled on suspect
> > strings.
>
> Are you sure the file isn't just damaged? (Have you considered
> endian problems? Line-break problems?)

Well, it was ftp'd from my old Mac two years ago to my linux box. I
wouldn't expect much damage, though it's certainly possible.

> > The first couple hundred bytes were all zeros.
>
> Ugh. Again, damaged? How about copying the file and blowing away all
> the leading nulls, does that make it (more) readable?

It still doesn't look like anything real to me. I look forward to your
opinion(s).

Mind you, this has become a matter of pride more than necessity, since
my brother says he can open it and convert it to a different format. I
like to think I can do most everything besides quicktime on my linux
box.

--
 Jeff