Art Clemons on Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:43:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL, Cheaper..

John Lavin:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how is that possible not to do *any*
business with Verizon *and* have either a home/office phone or dsl?

Verizon had to allow outside companies access to its network in order to get the ability to offer long distance to customers in some states. MCI, SPRINT and AT&T have offered me local service at home in solicitations in the mail. So yes, it is possible to have local service without getting a bill from Verizon in Pennsylvania, and I think in NJ too. You also can get DSL without getting a bill from Verizon although once again, you're stuck with using Verizon's lines anyway, and I strongly suspect except for the services in effect reselling Verizon's DSL like AOL, Verizon has had little incentive to offer much in the way of support for problems that can crop up.