John Lavin on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:52:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL, Cheaper..

Arthur S. Alexion said:
> Is there anyone else on this list that doesn't do ANY business with
> Verizon?  I saved a lot by switching my local service to AT&T (they
> waive all business per minute charges), and there's Teligent and USLEC,
> all three of which claim to provide high speed access.  Anybody tried
> them and have any comments?  (AT&T's been fine for regular voice and
> fax lines, but I haven't tried their high speed data access.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how is that possible not to do *any*
business with Verizon *and* have either a home/office phone or dsl?

No matter who's providing the service Verizion owns/controls the line.
AT&T still rents use of Verizion's line to get to your house/office.
That cost is passed to you.  Same thing with DSL.  I have directv, but
Verizion still does the last mile connection.

Splitting hairs?  Probally.

Does AT&T do residential?  Sounds like you use them for business.  I'd
like to be as Verizon free as possible...

-john
--
John Lavin
jlavin@ccil.org