gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 02:50:04 -0400

architectures (was: Re: [PLUG] debian dist-upgrade from woody (stable) to sarge (testing) report)

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:54:53PM -0400, christophe barbe wrote:
> Lol, It depends what you call an architecture for example prep, macppc
> count only for one in debian. I suspect most *68k count for one too.
> What is called an architecture in debian is not when we can boot on a
> platform with a diferent brand (but nearly the same hardware)
> (that's more a problem with the install boot floppies) but when
> we need to recompile from source.

Just because the code for spinning a particular processor is the
same across various ports, does NOT mean that being a useable OS on
those various ports are the same thing.

To be fair, what I'm talking about we refer to as MACHINE when cross-
building, and what you're talking about as MACHINE_ARCH, so I guess
we only have 17 limited that way.

That said, code that runs on a mac68k will definitely not run on a
next68k. There's a substantial effort involved in the bootloader and
hardware device support specific to the MACHINE that should not just
be ignored.

Trust, me if all the x68k ports could be running exactly the same
code, we'd be much happier...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net