christophe barbe on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:00:05 -0400

Re: architectures (was: Re: [PLUG] debian dist-upgrade from woody (stable) to sarge (testing) report)

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 02:33:21AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:54:53PM -0400, christophe barbe wrote:
> To be fair, what I'm talking about we refer to as MACHINE when cross-
> building, and what you're talking about as MACHINE_ARCH, so I guess
> we only have 17 limited that way.

Sounds more sensible and still a good score.

> That said, code that runs on a mac68k will definitely not run on a
> next68k. There's a substantial effort involved in the bootloader and
> hardware device support specific to the MACHINE that should not just
> be ignored.
>
> Trust, me if all the x68k ports could be running exactly the same
> code, we'd be much happier...

I trust you and as I told before this is managed in debian with
different flavor of boot floppies and specific packages.

Christophe

> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
--Ellen Perry Berkeley