christophe barbe on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:00:05 -0400

Re: nvidia / ati drivers (Re: [PLUG] debian dist-upgrade from woody (stable) to sarge (testing) report)

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 12:43:33AM -0400, nathaniel E Barwell wrote:
> That's why I bought Nvidia.
>
> While Nvidia releases binary only drivers, and not source drivers,
> they do release drivers.  ATI releases specs so that fully GPLed source
> drivers can be written, which is excellent, but they don't release their
> own drivers.  So it takes longer for them to happen.  I don't think the
> 8500 is fully supported under Linux yet, for these reasons.

I can confirm that recent ati chips are not yet fully supported. In my
new laptop I have a ATI Mobility radeon (M7) and for now I can't put my
laptop to sleep because the XFree guys doesn't have the spec for the
power management stuff of this chip. ATI release their specs ... when
they want.

That said I prefer the ATI way than the Nvidia way.

Christophe

PS: My laptop is a powerpc, I suppose if it was a x86 it would be
possible to ask the bios to put it on sleep.

Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're
absolutely right. --Henry Ford