John McElroy on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:56:16 -0400

Re: nvidia / ati drivers (Re: [PLUG] debian dist-upgrade from woody (stable) to sarge (testing) report)

Well, ATI has released drivers for the Radeon 8500LE on their website:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/linux/radeon8500linuxdrivers.html?cboOS=LinuxXFree86&cboProducts=RADEON+8500LE&cmdNext=GO%21

However, they are binary drivers in an rpm package.  I've tried them with RedHat 8.0 and they install without a problem and seem to work okay.  I tried using Alien to convert the rpm to deb.  The dpkg install of the deb version generated an error regarding attempting to overwrite a file installed by another package.  I installed the package by overriding the error.  But I was not able to successfully get X operational in this manner (ATI provides their own XFree86 configuration program to use that is very similar to XF86Config).

RedHat 8.0 recognizes the 8500LE during installation or afterwards by probing the card.  It uses the standard 'radeon' driver included with XFree86 4.2.0.  It seem to work just as well.  Neither seem to be very effective at providing 3D acceleration.  For instance, Tuxracer, which comes with RedHat 8.0, is unplayably slow.  I haven't tried any other 3D game.  Quake 3 would be a good test but I only have the Windows version.

Maybe Nvidia is the way to go for Linux.  Maybe I'll look around for a GeForce4 4200.  Anyone have a suggestion for the most Linux-friendly/compliant Nvidia videocard that has good 3D performance?