gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:00:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NTFS --> to ? Conversion

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:00:55PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Would that filesystem-change technique preserve permissions?

That's what pax's -pe flag means. See pax(1).

> The more difficult part of migration from Windows to Linux would be
> moving the user accounts and permissions.

That's entirely dependent on the NTFS implementation in Linux's
ability to read the NTFS metadata. I wouldn't know.

At the least, pax [-r] [-w] -pe will get you as much as possible.

Note that saying:

  cd fromdir && pax -r -w -pe . todir

is the same as saying:

  cd fromdir && tar cpf - . | ( cd todir && tar xpf - )

I think it's harder to screw up with pax.

(Note that GNU tar was recently replaced as /usr/bin/tar in NetBSD
by Keith Muller's pax(1) implementation; when called as tar, pax(1)
understands all the POSIX-standard tar flags. Point is, pax isn't a
fancy new thing, and even if you're not likely to see GNU tar going
away in any Linux distro any time soon, you can be sure that pax is
there... and on Solaris, and on Irix, and on HP/UX, and on ...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net