sean finney on Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:02:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Playing with Fire?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:50:51PM -0700, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I meant configuring the modules - ie: getting ethernet, firewire, sound,
> pc-card,USB devices etc. to load correctly. Then there is the font server
> configuration so i can get AA fonts. RH8 and Madrake have decent hardware
> recognition and cofigure this stuff for me. Last time I used debian
> (progeny)  - it didn't even recognize the 2x CD-RW on my desktop box.

aha.  sorry for the confusion.  well the most configuration i've had
to do (apart from some stuff to get 3d acceleration working with some
non-free nvidia drivers) is putting a few lines in /etc/modules for things
like network card modules needed at boot time, but i guess ymmv :)

> Will debian find and setup this stuff? Having to do that manually gives
> credance to saying "Linux is only free if your time is worthless" - and I
> don't have the time to spend days getting that stuff working.

well most of the stuff should Just Work i'm imagining, but if not, you can
always install a variety of hardware-detecting programs if you don't feel
up to getting down and dirty.  there's three or four packages i found in
debian that seem to do this, including redhat's kudzu if that's what you
want.

hth
	sean