eric@lucii.org on Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:09:06 -0400

[PLUG] Dvorak Keyboard [WAS: AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?]

I, too, took a serious look at Dvorak about 3 years ago when a
sadistic doctor at Bryn Mawr stuck needles in my hand/arm and gave me
electric shocks to see if there was any "nerve damage".  I don't know if
there was any damage before he started but there sure was after he was
done :-(

I could never take the final step and commit to changing though because
too often I was at a customer's site and could not rely on being able to
quickly and/or easily changing the QUERTY to Dvorak.

What are you doing to make the switch?  Did you buy a special keyboard?
I know that Windows NT has a way to switch a normal keyboard to Dvorak
(have to be administrator + probably have to reboot).  What about Linux?
I'll bet there's a trivially simple way to get X to remap the keyboard -
probably could switch back and forth on a whim :-)

Eric

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 03:10:28PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Bill Jonas wrote:
>
> >Nothing wrong with asking.  Insisting's another matter entirely.  While
> >I agree that trying other platforms besides the most common one is good,
> >there's something to be said for freedom of choice (even if it's the
> >default choice).  Isn't that what Free and Open software is all about?
> >

> Yes.  Totally agree.
>
> What was the original purpose of blocking pop-ups in a business
> environment? Is it bandwidth, user convenience, or something else?
>
> (Change should be a choice and right now I'm experiencing the difficulty
> of one of my choices. This is even more off topic, but if you want to
> know, I've converted my standard Qwerty keyboard to a Dvorak layout.)

#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#      And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
#                             -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.