gabriel rosenkoetter on 26 Feb 2004 05:33:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rationalizing .Mac web pages

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:09:47PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Someone had to setup the .Mac stuff.  Someone would also have to setup
> Gallery.  I guess .Mac wins because they got there first.

Nah. .Mac wins because it's in Mac OS, which probably has more users
than Linux on the *desktop*. It has that not just by an embedded
base, but it has also attraced Linux users because it's a POSIX
operating system that Just Works when you don't want to deal with
package management. OS integration may be something that's a pain
for MS and their antitrust difficulties, but it's actually a pretty
good idea.  (MS's difficulty is that they refuse to expose the
interfaces by which you can replace their client applications,
because they don't really respect the separate between client and
server, and, mostly, because they're the biggest thing run, so of
course they're the target for hatred).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net