Rebecca Ore on 22 Apr 2004 22:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Switching from Cable to DSL

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:14:35PM -0700, M.Simons (msimons@slackware.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Chris wrote:

> However, to qualify for the rebate on the wireless dsl router, you only
> need to keep the service for 30 days, an easy thing to do for a free
> wireless router.
>
> check verizon's site for details (need to be new subscriber, etc.)

I've found them to be reasonable about troubleshooting things even if
you say you're on Linux using a router (Belkin) that they don't support.

The main reason I went with them is that they were cheaper than the
competition and they're likely to be in business ten years from now.

They won't bother people who run services under the radar -- the clause
against servers is for people who start running servers for more than a
handful of users.  Port 80 is blocked but in the 0verizon groups, people
have discussed running web servers on other ports.  Mail, at least a
couple of months back, could be sent direct MX -- not that a lot of
places don't block that from Verizon dynamically assigned IP space.  If
anyone wants to run his or her own mail server, it's probably not the
right provider, but I do know that people were doing that.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore