Michael Leone on 9 May 2004 15:24:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a multi-codec GUI audio converter

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 10:46, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 10:27:38AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 09:10, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > > If you can convert to WAV, then use your favorite mp3 encoder to
> > > convert wav to mp3.
> >
> > That makes 2 steps, and I want a one step. That was the way I had been
> > doing it  - convert to standard WAV, and then WAV -> MP3.
>
> One step:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     b=`basename $1 .shn`
>     SHNtoWAV $1 $b.wav
>     WAVtoMP3 $b.wav $b.mp3

Will that do FLAC, too?

> Your syntax may vary.  GUI, use dialog or glade/perl or Tkl/Tk to
> write a box that selects a file and calls that script.  Not so hard. ;-)

Not so hard for YOU. If I could have done that as easily as you suggest,
I would have, and you would never have seen a post. You're making the
mistake that everyone can (or wants to) write a program to do something.
(such as file dialogs; checking to see if the file exists so it doesn't
overwrite inadvertently; etc). I could spend time to learn to do it, or
I could use those plugins I found to enjoy the end result sooner.

When I'm at home, I don't want to spend a reconfiguring and reworking
computers and programs to make them do things a certain way; that's what
I spend my work days doing. At home, I mostly want to just USE, as
quickly and simply as possible, so I can do other things with my life,
besides computers.

Such as listening to the music I have now converted. :-)

(don't get me wrong, I still like to play around, and am willing to put
some effort into things. But I've spent too much of my personal time
trying to get things to work one way, when I could have achieved results
by using another method - such as finding these XMMS plugins, which I
could never have written)