Stephen Gran on 17 Jul 2004 19:42:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hotplug not working w 2.6

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 03:16:53PM -0400, Jon Nelson said:
> Stephen Gran said:
> > Looks good also.  Just one question - why is psmouse under isapnp?  Is
> > it really coming over an ISA bus somehow?  Do you even have an ISA bus
> > on that machine?  I have a machine that has one, but it must be 8 or 10
> > years old.
>
> I don't think there is an ISA bus this is almost a brand new laptop.

I didn't think so.  Odd.

> >> At boot I get errors that none of these could be loaded.
> >
> > Can you post them?  I'm not much of a kernel guy, but maybe I can help.
> I was not able to find them in my logs but restarting hotplug showed me
> the errors:
>
> -------------------snip---------------------------snip---------------------
> quincy@laptop:~$ /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
> Restarting hotplug subsystem:   input
>    input    [success]
>    isapnp
>    isapnp   [success]
>    net
>    net      [success]
>    pci
>    pci      [success]
>    usb
>    usb      [success]
>    input
>      evbug: blacklisted
>      evdev: already loaded
>      evbug: blacklisted
>      evdev: already loaded
>      mousedev: already loaded
>      tsdev: already loaded
>    input    [success]

So it's loading mousedev but not psmouse.

I think the isapnp errors are a red herring.  It's trying to trigger
hotplug events on the ISA bus, but you don't have one, so it fails.  I
think the easiest workaround is just to add psmouse to /etc/modules
until hotplug is fixed to do the right thing.  Hopefully this fixes it
for you.
|  Stephen Gran                  | You plan things that you do not even    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | attempt because of your extreme         |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | caution.                                |