Michael Leone on 4 Sep 2004 00:28:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft/Active Directory

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 00:54, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:45:49PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> > > ok, I apologize for being confused; I forgot about NDS and
> > > thought groupwise subsumed it (I just skimmed the manual, sue
> > > me). MS-AD now includes the policy stuff too. so WTF is a
> > > "forest", anyway, lol
> >
> > A forest is a collection of domain "trees", of course. :-)
>
> To add to the misery: as far as I could figure out a Microsoft AD
> "domain" is not *necessarily* a "domain" (like "phillylinux.org")
> but it *could* be congruent.

Well, sorta,yeah. It's not quite like a DNS "domain", no. But it does
utilize DNS (in fact, it doesn't work without it), but to MS, a "domain"
is something much more than just a DNS domain name, and/or a list of
hosts that all belong to said domain.