Art Alexion on 15 Nov 2004 13:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux tools for technical writing?

Bill Patterson wrote:

I wish I had better news. My tech editing and tech writing for Wiley requires M$Word format, and we get deeply into Word capabilities involving multiple contributors to a single piece being separately colored, etc.
If someone knows of a word processor for Linux that supports all forms of proofreading notation and collaborative authorship I'd like to try it.

I've been using OpenOffice 1.9. The interface makes a lot more sense than 1.1. It is a beta of 2.0. In my use over the last several months, I have found it to be as stable as the "stable" releases, but be forewarned.

I have a lot of winword docs that make deep use of its more esoteric features that most people should, but do not, use (fields, styles, frames, etc.). Sadly, compatibility with highly formatted documents is too often poor.

[On a related note, why do developers of office-type software insure that they always warn you that "some formatting will be lost when saving to other [non-native] formats -- even when the document has none of the unconvertible formatting [a boy-who-cried-wolf problem] -- but never tells you which elements are not saved. The only software that I ever used that got this right was the old Borland QuattoPro that told you exactly what was not supported if saved to Excel or 1-2-3. Pity, this product petered.]

However, notes/comments and protected changes for collaboration seem to be quite compatible. I have never lost data nor have any winword users complained that they could not access my notes or review my changes. Unless you use a lot of frames, styles and fields, I suggest trying this beta.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c