Paul on 2 Dec 2004 14:06:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] finger print for security...

Jesse Huestis wrote:

I have done testing with an earlier version and it worked fairly effectively. The best method I saw was one combinding a fingerprint and password. In looking at the current solutions, most of these are finger print to a username. You have to know the username and have the correct fingerprint. It is cool and I can not imagine why it work not be adaptable for Linux.

Instead of routine password changes, imaging using a different finger each month or so.

The finger print method seems weak. What happens if you cut your finger or spend too much time in a bath? Also, law enforcement people might be able to use finger prints on file to crack into peoples computers. (Can't trust them!) However, some of the biometric methods might be good for people with physical problems; people that might have trouble typing in a username and password.