Dan Widyono on 24 May 2006 12:43:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] What's the best utility to find source of outbound net traffic?

> > Um, that's every *two seconds*.  That seems more worrisome to me (on my
> > system) than every few minutes.
>
> Well, ntp, cups, samba, syslog, name resolution, nfs, portmapper,
> plenty more.  There is a lot of legitimate udp traffic on most networks.

Well, that's why I specified (on my system).  Outbound to that there Internet
thingy, I have very little udp traffic.  I certainly don't allow nfs,
portmapper, samba, syslog, nor cups out to the public (which is the direction
I believe the original poster was concerned about).  dns and ntp are not
every two seconds (in my experience, since it's not a major server I'm
running for other folks).  I don't know (remember?) what the original poster
had set up, but regardless, I agree with your iptables monitoring idea
(having used it successfully myself for similar issues).

Dan W.