Toby DiPasquale on 19 Sep 2006 19:57:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sorry if this is OT but... Google Steals!

Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 09:03:08AM -0400, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> Hi John:
>
> * John Von Essen <john@essenz.com> [2006-09-18 23:48:21 -0400]:
> > Its a huge difference. If all users get this 50% click fraud, and
> > google's ad revenue is $100 million, then their stealing $50 million
> > of of thin air.
>
> That position makes no sense to me: advertising with google (or anyone else)
> either brings you enough business to be worth the cost... or it doesn't.  The
> number of clicks billed is not actually part of that equation; I wouldn't get
> too hung up on it.
>
> Now if that 50% figure starts trending upward, that may be a different story.

No, its the same either way. Whether or not it is worth the cost is almost
orthogonal to whether or not you're getting ripped off. Take e.g. Comcast:
you _KNOW_ you're getting ripped off, but the cost may not be sufficient to
warrant going with a much slower alternative (DSL). Google AdWords may be
simultaneously ripping you off and also be a worth the cost. Remember, its
only in aggregate that GOOG makes massive amounts of loot from
AdWords/AdSense. Individual customers are unlikely to feel a big dent
(indeed, this is the reason I personally think that the situation has been
allowed to fester this long).

--
Toby DiPasquale