Randy Schmidt on 25 Sep 2006 19:48:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

So if the card was capable of true hardware raid, the device would
show up by itself and I wouldn't have to mess around with drivers?
What should I be looking for in a card to make sure it is capable of
hardware raid? I am going to be making another raid in the next year
or so and I want to make sure I am looking at the right hardware.

Yeah, I meant the boot drive.

Thanks,
Randy

On 9/25/06, Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/24/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
> I think I got it straightened out so I wanted to kind of sum up what I
> found. I decided to not use hardware raid since the card I had didn't
> really give me the benefits of hardware raid. I also think that the

I just want make it clear here that there is no hardware raid possible
with this card. There are only two different implementations of
software-raid, one that is part of the Linux kernel and one that is
part of the vendor driver.

PS. it appears the vendor (highpoint) is just plain lying when they
claim that the hpt374 driver is open-source. The download contains two
precompiled binary object files that get linked into the final driver.

> I'm so releived it's working! I had been working on it off and on for
> a month or so. There is only one other question I have. What happens
> if the drive I have linux installed on takes a crap? Is it just a
> matter of setting up the raid again and it will all work and my data
> will be intact?

Not sure I understand. By "the drive I have linux installed on", do
you mean the drive that you boot from? If so, the answer is Yes. You
can test this procedure by booting from the Ubuntu LiveCD and
activating your raid from within that environment.

--
Will Dyson

Randy Schmidt
x@altorg.com