Mark M. Hoffman on 26 Sep 2006 11:04:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

Hi Randy:

* Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> [2006-09-25 15:48:10 -0400]:
> So if the card was capable of true hardware raid, the device would
> show up by itself and I wouldn't have to mess around with drivers?

Mostly, yes.

> What should I be looking for in a card to make sure it is capable of
> hardware raid? I am going to be making another raid in the next year
> or so and I want to make sure I am looking at the right hardware.

Without specifically answering your question, I would recommend checking out
3ware [1].  They have some cheaper/entry level stuff that *is* h/w raid.
Drivers are in the mainline kernel - they seem to 'get it' w.r.t. Linux.
I have a couple older PATA cards on servers at work that are still humming
along nicely.

[1] http://www.3ware.com/

Regards,

--