gabriel rosenkoetter on 13 Oct 2006 02:50:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cname lookups

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:55:21PM -0400, John Von Essen wrote:
> If I knew ARIN would be such a pain now, I would have snagged a /16
> back when nobody cared or asked questions, and then be grandfathered
> with it.

Plenty of people have. And if they would just give back what they're
demonstrably not using, never mind what they're using but really
don't need, they wouldn't be such a damn commodity.

> Nowadays, getting IP assignments from ARIN is like pulling teeth, and
> expensive... like $1000 for a /24 for small shops, then $500 yearly
> "membership" fees. Thats ridiculous. And its nearly impossible to get
> a large block anymore - you need "pull" to make that happen.

Yes, well. At some point ARIN noticed that it actually cost them
money to provide this information to the whole world...

It's still free if you know the right people, and certain IP blocks'
ownerhip is in... questionable state. Such that if you choose to
advertise it (which you probably don't want to do; just the routine
port-sniffing your average /16 gets is more than most people want to
pay the bandwidth for) and you're sufficiently peered, most of the
world will believe you.

What precious few bits ARIN still has "reserved" will cost you
something, and you don't even get to bid unless you're the Right
Sort, but the whole price thing's rather negotiable, although the
people in a position to negotiate can drop the $1000 for a /24
without caring. (Hell, I've got $1000/$500 per annum to spare for
a /24, I've just got no use for it. That's essentially free, if I
*had* a use for it. You probably spend more than that on cable TV or
a newspaper subscription.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net