Matthew Rosewarne on 21 Feb 2007 02:26:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 19:24, jeff wrote:
> They have, without fail, failed.  They are the company that the Dead
> Parrot Sketch was written about :)   Even if their DSL service was
> primo, I have no confidence that it would ever get installed, serviced,
> or much of anything else (except billed).

I've seen similar horror stories with Verizon.  I once came to someone's
office to do something with their machine and they had recently gotten
Verizon DSL installed.  When I tried to connect, nothing happened.  The
causes became fairly apparent when I looked at the DSL modem:

1. The "technician" who had installed the modem had not connect ANY cables
from the modem to the client's computer!

2. The ethernet plug that was supposed to go to the computer was plugged into
a socket in the wall!

3. Amazingly enough, not only had they not plugged in the modem's power cord,
they didn't even provide a power cord!

I am just shocked at this pathetic service, it would be funny if it weren't so
annoying.  Apparently it took several weeks for Verizon to even schedule
someone to come and actually give the client the power cord for the modem and
hopefully even plug it in.  Is it really that hard to actually try the
connection to see if it actually works before leaving the client with a bill?

> > It's a gut thing, not quantitative, but I find phone companies the lesser
> > of the phone/cable TV twin evils.

Oh, they're equally evil.  After all, the business model of cable companies is
based squarely on the phone giants (that is, before the line-sharing laws).