Cliff Pankonien on 26 Nov 2007 21:37:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

pico here...actually i guess "pico" is an alias for nano in ubuntu...i've used pico for years, and used to have to explicitly install it in suse...then i switched to debian/ubuntu...typed "pico" after an install, woohoo! already installed! then i realized it was actually running nano, which as far as i can tell, is identical keystroke-wise to pico. easy to use, powerful enough for me...

Eugene Smiley wrote:
Brent Saner wrote:
wow, i really love all the responses! it's really helpful.

James- i've noticed a similar trend; my coding/developer friends tend to use emacs whilst the sysadmin buddies i have tend to use vi.

Art- i totally forgot about the lesser ones, like Jed! as an added bonus, jed has an "emacs emulation mode" and is a lot more lightweight than emacs! i just found that interesting.

[snip]
let's keep this going, i'm curious as to what the rest of you use!

Pico / Nano.

I just want a simple editor that doesn't effing require me to memorize vast dictionaries of keycodes to do what I want to do, i.e. edit a text file. I should be able to use the arrow keys, the delete key, and be able to TYPE. I shouldn't have to enter "Edit Mode" since I'm in an editor. I should just be able to edit!

Alternatively, I'll WinSCP to the Linux box and use Notepad++. I rarely even use the GUI console any more. I'm debating removing X from it totally. Putty and WinSCP do what I need.