Eric Hidle on 18 Feb 2009 13:11:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FiOS?

I don't see why it would be using NAT tables in bridged mode.

The ActionTec (yes, I already took it apart) uses a Micrel 8995 Ethernet Switch which can be configured either for gateway topologies or bridged switching topologies. I can only assume that in bridging mode, it simply pulls the CPU out of the insertion point between the MAC and the PHY on the 5th port.

So, in bridged mode, the only thing in the way is the 8995 Switch, which has a 1K unicast table, which is really plenty given it will only ever have the MACs for the home boxes and the upstream router in it.

Anyhoo, he's almost done, so hopefully I'll be able to get it set up shortly. Although, I'm enjoying connection through my cell phone at the moment since it's actually faster than Comcast has been lately.

Heh...