Kyle Winfree on 14 Apr 2009 21:12:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Jaunty on Mini-9

Art and Alex,
    I'll throw in my thoughts as a user of the Eee 1000.  I'm a graduate
student.  When I started at Penn, I bought an HP tablet with Vista.  It
worked, but never really up to all that I had hoped.  At this point, I
use it for CAD and taxes (what I'm doing now).  I got the Eee a few
months back because my 12 in tablet is almost 7 lbs, too heavy for my
hour long (one way) commute on the train everyday.  That 7 lbs also
excludes the extra battery I have to carry.  I'm using Xandros with KDE
on the Eee, with Thunderbird as an "off line" mail client.  I also use
Amarok for playing music off my ipod when I can also plug the Eee in.
But with the 6-8 hour battery life, I really don't carry the power
adapter often.  I also use Matlab on it, very often.  Yes, that would be
better suited to a bigger notebook or a desktop, but with SVN, the Eee
is just a satellite computer for me.  Things that didn't come installed
with Xandros that I think are a must : latex, rsync, svn, and KDE.  Yes,
mostly (first three) all light weight stuff, but it just shows that
netbooks have many uses.
Cheers,
Kyle