Michael Leone on 26 Jul 2009 12:31:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hard Drive warranty RMA

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM, brent timothy
saner<brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Leone wrote:
>> I always try SpinRite, from GRC. It can work wonders to recover a
>> drive. Not sure how well it handles the filesystem in question, tho..
>>
>> It's not Linux, but as they say, use the best tool for the job. ;-)
>>

> actually, spinrite is a false sense of security. once a hard drive
> starts to degrade, nothing will save it. all spinrite does is mark which
> sectors are bad and tell the disk electronics to ignore those sectors
> (which badblocks can do) as well as a little bit of tweaking, if i
> recall (which one should be able to do with hdparm/sdparm). there is
> nothing special about it, it's a pestilence on the general public,

"Pestilence" is such an extremely harsh term to use, don't you think?

> and i really would like to stop see it being recommended as a panacea as it
> only erases the symptoms temporarily and does not address the root
> problem- that the disk is degrading.

I recommended it not as a "panacea" to make everything perfect again,
but as a way of making the drive usable, long enough for the OP to do
whatever last operation they wanted to do (which I presumed was to
remove the sensitive data from the drive). Isn't that what you were
doing - recommending a way to do what the OP wants to do?

> you wouldn't take morphine if your abdomen was gashed open, would you?

At a guess, the emergency doctor who would be treating my open abdomen
would probably administer morphine (or similar) so I could bear the
pain, while he repaired my open gash, yes.

Regardless, I hope the OP accomplishes what they want or need to
accomplish, using whatever methods they feel best.