Eric on 20 Aug 2009 04:48:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] postfix question

Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Eric <eric@lucii.org
> <mailto:eric@lucii.org>> wrote:
>
>     The script that runs the php code runs as root so the FROM of the
>     email is root@maindomain.com <mailto:root@maindomain.com>.
>

> Very bad idea. Linux comes with an apache user and group for this very
> reason (known as httpd on some systems). Use that. Don't use root.

Actually went one step further and use an ordinary un-privileged user to run the
email.

> Yes,  if that machine is handling email strictly for web.maindomain.com
> <http://web.maindomain.com>, it should be configured to handle only that
> and nothing else. Else, postfix will deliver locally. The myhostname
> directive in main.cf <http://main.cf> controls this. If you want it to
> receive mail, you should setup it's own MX with an FQDN of
> web.maindomain.com <http://web.maindomain.com>.
>
> So yes, there is some reconfiguration that needs to happen.
>

> --
> Michael D. Bevilacqua
> michael@bevilacqua.us <mailto:michael@bevilacqua.us>

Got it working.  One thing that was curious was that the parent domain would not
accept email from this box.  Researching the error indicated that it needed to
do some kind of reverse look-up on the sender's address (host?).  Since the only
world-visible domain address this box has is www.maindomain.com I changed it's
name to "www".

That worked.

Thanks,