Fred Stluka on 28 Aug 2009 10:07:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to avoid spam blacklists?...

Tim,

Good idea about batching and self-throttling.

About 20 years ago, I wrote my own custom mailer, that I've evolved
over the years.  It loads my favorite editor with a message template
and all of my mailing lists, allows me to compose, then sends the
message off to each recipient separately (instead of one big BCC),
adding info about which list(s) it was sent to, how to unsubscribe,
etc.  It already does things like various levels of timeout and
retry, in case of wireless LAN errors when sending from the garden
via my laptop, logs the outgoing message, recipients, timestamps,
retries, error messages, etc.

I'm not doing massive mailings.  I'm currently more of a boutique
tip-of-the-day service, only sending to hundreds or a thousand
recipients per day, all of whom asked to be on the lists.  Still,
that's probably enough traffic to hit some ISP limits.

Should be easy to have it send in smaller batches with delays.

Thanks,
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!