Eric at Lucii.org on 18 Jun 2010 17:38:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Distro for KDE

I don't recall many specifics since it was about 2.5 or 3 years ago but I found
that applications would crash far more often than with OpenSuSE.  Kmail was a
particular problem for me.  I just remember it being not-ready-for-prime-time.

To be fair, it was a while ago and, as Alex points out, 10.4 is probably worth a
try.

My problem is that I use my Linux workstation to get my work done.  If it fails
me or hassles me with too many problems then I just get frustrated.  Re-doing
the system is also a weekend-long hassle of hard drive shuffling, home directory
restoring, and application installing.  I'm beyond the point in my life where I
can invest a few weekends a year just hopping from distro to distro until I find
one that works as I need.  For example, I used SuSE and then OpenSuSE from SuSE
4 until OpenSuSE 10.1   I've used 8.10  Ubuntu on this system since it came out.

I have not heard of Arch or Pacman but I'll look them up.  I tend to stay with
"big" distros (read: lots of eyes, lots of support if needed.)

Eric

On 06/18/2010 08:22 PM, Conor Schaefer wrote:
> Can you guys elaborate on your frustrations with Kubuntu? I'm sorry if
> this is a tired subject for you guys.
>
> Personally I've been considering switching to Arch at home. Given this
> discussion, I think it would be a good opportunity to wean myself off of
> Kubuntu and try KDE in a different realm. I hear Pacman is pretty
> attractive.
>
> The previous plan was to migrate my server, but maybe I'll do the
> desktop instead, for the KDE excuse.
>
> Writing this email from the Phillies game on my Nexus One. ;)
>
>> On Jun 18, 2010 8:11 PM, "Eric at Lucii.org" <eric@lucii.org
>> <mailto:eric@lucii.org>> wrote:
>>
> Art... that is some coincidence.  I'm having similar thoughts this
> week.  I use
> to love KDE until they prematurely went to 4.0.  I jumped from Open
> SuSE to
> Ubuntu and really like it *except* for Gnome.  I tried Kubuntu but
> found it too
> buggy.  Prior to Ubuntu, I used SuSE and then OpenSuSE and for the
> most part KDE
> was rock solid.
>
> I've heard that YUM is much improved.  Perhaps a test install of
> OpenSuSE is now
> in order.
>
> The dilemma: apt or KDE...  Chose one.
>
> Eric
>

> On 06/18/2010 05:10 PM, Art Alexion wrote:
>> I have just about had it with Kubuntu. Monitoring som...

- --
#  Eric Lucas
#