Rich Freeman on 18 Jan 2011 06:23:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Do you feel like you're a Linux dude(tte) in a 'Doze/Mac world?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Carl Bullard <carlbullard@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure your issue is simply Linux related.  I have the ActionTec
> at home and the wireless is horrible.  I've tried everything under the
> sun and nothing seems to work.  My wireless drops randomly on my XP
> laptop.  It's to the point go with a Linksys using DD-WRT or Tomato
> just for my wireless.

Yup, first thing I did when I got the router is disable the wireless
on it - I'm still using an ancient linksys running dd-wrt.

I can't vouch for whether it is problematic - not supporting WPA was
reason enough to ditch it for me.

BTW, how can ANYBODY make a router these days that doesn't support
WPA?  WEP is absolutely worthless from a security standpoint.  I
wouldn't use WEP unless I put it behind a router and only allowed VPN
traffic through (good luck getting consumer devices to work with that,
however - maybe whitelist a few internet sites or something).

Rich