Lee Marzke on 18 Jan 2011 10:18:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Do you feel like you're a Linux dude(tte) in a 'Doze/Mac world?

On 01/18/2011 09:23 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Carl Bullard<carlbullard@gmail.com>  wrote:
I'm not sure your issue is simply Linux related.  I have the ActionTec
at home and the wireless is horrible.  I've tried everything under the
sun and nothing seems to work.  My wireless drops randomly on my XP
laptop.  It's to the point go with a Linksys using DD-WRT or Tomato
just for my wireless.
Yup, first thing I did when I got the router is disable the wireless
on it - I'm still using an ancient linksys running dd-wrt.

My problem on my FIOS was that WIRED ethernet to the ActionTec did not work ! I never even
attempted WiFI.     Now how can wired work on Windows and not on Linux ?

Yes, I did get a DHCP lease , IP, DNS and Gateway. But no traffic, and the
management interface of the Actiontec would no respond at all.

Yes, I know how to bypass this on my FIOS,  but I've got a few WiFi hotspots
that I can no longer use.   And of course reporting this to the WiFi shop is
useless as they see all their computers and WIndows users having no problems.

Lee

I can't vouch for whether it is problematic - not supporting WPA was
reason enough to ditch it for me.

BTW, how can ANYBODY make a router these days that doesn't support
WPA?  WEP is absolutely worthless from a security standpoint.  I
wouldn't use WEP unless I put it behind a router and only allowed VPN
traffic through (good luck getting consumer devices to work with that,
however - maybe whitelist a few internet sites or something).

Rich

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,     lee@marzke.net                              http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, Global App Development, Software CM, VMware, VSphere, NetApp storage
voice: +1 484-961-0369     +1 800 393 5217                     sip://lee@4aero.com
fax:  +1 484-348-2230

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke