Rich Freeman on 18 Jan 2011 10:35:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Do you feel like you're a Linux dude(tte) in a 'Doze/Mac world?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> Yes,  I did get a DHCP lease , IP,  DNS and Gateway.   But no traffic,  and
> the
> management interface of the Actiontec would no respond at all.

Are you sure about this?  Is the lease including DNS/etc?  It would
seem very odd for one of these routers to care at all what the host OS
is, unless you have some really odd DHCP client running.

When I was migrating my RAID I moved DHCP service over to my actiontec
router so that at least half of the house would keep running with the
server down.  I was able to access the internet just fine from my
android-based phone, and from my Chrome OS netbook.  The later almost
certainly used fairly standard tools - ChromeOS is relatively close to
a typical linux distro with regard to the network tools.

Things that might be going wrong:

1.  Maybe the actiontec isn't actually providing a DNS server, and
windows somehow falls back on some known server when this happens, or
whatever server it used last (most resolving DNS servers probably will
serve up requests for anybody, even if you aren't on the same network
any longer).  Your linux box might refuse to do DNS if the server is
not set up.

2.  You have a configuration issue that is keeping the DNS settings
from ending up in resolv.conf.

3.  You're not actually getting a lease for whatever reason.  Maybe it
ran out of IPs and windows users just coincidentally still have valid
leases from a previous day or whatever.

4.  The router has one of those gateway webpages/etc and you haven't
logged in.  Maybe the gateway page uses ActiveX or something
non-standard making this a pain for you.

I'd recommend running the appropriate network tools from the command
line with debug output turned on (dhcpcd, or whatever).  I think you
said you're running ubuntu and I'm not sure how their network tools
are configured, so I can't tell you exactly what to do.  If nothing
else you can probably just manually set up the interface and see if
you can get it running (ifconfig, dhcpcd, etc).  Most of those tools
should not touch any configuration files so a reboot will get you back
to normal ubuntu full-auto mode or whatever.

Good luck!

Rich