Michael Lazin on 8 Apr 2012 09:21:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sshd on sabayon

I have a coworker that tries a lot of linux distros and I told him I don't like unity, and I wanted to try something besides ubuntu on my netbook and he recommended sabayon.  It is taking some getting used to coming from the debian/ubuntu world, but I like it.  Everything worked out of the box besides sshd.  I am not going to fault sabayon for this, I am glad it comes locked down by default.  Another day when I am less concerned about getting my files back I will set up a firewall again.

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> You hit the nail on the head.  The problem was the pesky firewall.  I didn't
> install it, it came on there by default.  I removed it and rebooted the
> computer and ssh worked fine.  I'm copying my tarball backup over right
> now.  It's nice to know that saybayon comes locked down, but I need to be
> able to ssh to make backups.  I typically use sshfs to mount my laptop
> filesystem on my desktop when I want to make/restore a backup.

Yup, Sabayon is much more "finished" than Gentoo is.  In some ways
Sabayon is to Gentoo as Ubuntu is to Debian.  That analogy breaks down
quite a bit though, as Gentoo is anything but stale in its default
configurations (either testing or stable).

Maybe a better comparison is Ubuntu to Ubuntu Server.  Same codebase,
less polish.

No reason you can't have the firewall though - you can always
configure it to open port 22 incoming.  Most firewall tools make that
easy - you just have to find the right config file.  You also can just
turn it on or off and set whether it runs at boot - most likely it is
just a service (so use rc-update to manipulate the runlevels).

I've messed around with Sabayon - it is an interesting alternative to
Gentoo.  Obviously its biggest pro/con (depending on perspective) is
that it provides a binary repository, but allows you to use the source
repository as well.  The former obviously requires you to accept
generic USE flags.

Rich

Michael Lazin

to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai