Sam Gleske on 13 Feb 2013 21:48:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] So... Gaming.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
I wouldn't put too much stock in any further former-id tech coming to Linux -- John Carmack is pretty down on direct ports, so we'll have to wait for source releases.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/john_carmack_linux_is_not_the_right_platform_for_video_games.html

--
Doug Stewart

A quote from that article...
Properly evangelized, with Steam as a monetized distribution platform, this is a plausible path forward.
John Carmack

Their previous attempts at making Linux a profitable market failed as a game publisher.  However, Valve has what ID lacked... a distribution platform with the ability to support it.  Valve is in a different league than ID.  If Valve is able to make Steam successful on Linux that doesn't mean ID software will not be making games for Linux going forward.  They're basically taking the "wait and see" stance.

SAM