Sam Gleske on 13 Feb 2013 21:48:27 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
- From: Sam Gleske <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] So... Gaming.
- Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:48:02 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to:content-type; bh=uIk8MuJ1Gm1UWkutvMu28/I9ulAVzR/oSQ6R4VZ7TU8=; b=baOQgsbzwPGXZKhWSfr5u0RFv96yOKxFTztArjAzFKsLhe54p9lJD7IuWjMC+wwAPQ HmBqiloV2GYwi21oAtSoIXtUUEcYqsf95aDQWuuho2F3AZYTv1Uo1lMi3Mt5rw0vFY/r gsvP3a6/7P3eZtL50ZI8lLQurqwD61GllSelb2UlQ3zFU18QXRx61NK+4eLNG32vCHFY Ag8IEqIGAqKJHHNHuLBFZlJwi/Uky1Qntmf3BHrmwCO8h+mnyHRJqjEz/LSEwzH3U/It svMJWsWeu4mxEJpYj/Z8jpUHhUxAR+PH9OA7bo27p6foQvmWS+l7Cdbgf84E5MHpWsnX /mwQ==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Doug Stewart <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I wouldn't put too much stock in any further former-id tech coming to Linux -- John Carmack is pretty down on direct ports, so we'll have to wait for source releases.
A quote from that article...
Properly evangelized, with Steam as a monetized distribution platform, this is a plausible path forward.
Their previous attempts at making Linux a profitable market failed as a game publisher. However, Valve has what ID lacked... a distribution platform with the ability to support it. Valve is in a different league than ID. If Valve is able to make Steam successful on Linux that doesn't mean ID software will not be making games for Linux going forward. They're basically taking the "wait and see" stance.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug