Rich Freeman on 15 Feb 2013 06:36:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] So... Gaming.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:
> They're talking about support.  If you're on an unsupported system then
> you're pretty much on your own.

For $5 I figured I'd give it a shot.  Turns out they bundle libstdc++
but not mesa, and the system mesa is inevitably incompatible with what
they bundle (unless you happen to run that one version of Ubuntu).
Removing the libstdc++ that is bundled fixes the problem, as somebody
running Mint figured out.

That is one of the issues with running proprietary apps on Linux.
Traditionally windows tends to use a more API-oriented model with
drivers/etc all defining a stable interface.  On linux it seems like
the way you do anything is to link to a library, and many of those
libraries do not have stable interfaces (I know on Gentoo we seem to
struggle with icu in particular which breaks ABI all the time without
changing SONAME).  I remember when I first started using mysql and
discovering that most apps that use mysql use a mysql library that has
its own functions for running queries/etc.  That means that you need
to build your own compatibility layer if you want to support multiple
database engines, and hence most linux apps do not.  On Windows you'd
typically use ODBC and mysql would provide a driver into this, and as
long as you stuck with ANSI SQL you could swap out the DB with little
fuss (don't get me started on the uselessness of ANSI SQL though).

Rich