Eric H. Johnson on 5 Mar 2014 14:30:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Back to wordpress

Doug,

Ok, that worked. Now I am back to trying to enable permalinks. When
installed from packages, it created a folder /etc/wordpress for the
wp-config.php and htaccess which was symlinked from /usr/share/wordpress.
Manually installing did not create anything under /etc and there is no
default .htaccess in the base wordpress folder. I backed the one up however
from the previous install and copied it to /var/www/wordpress/.

I changed owner to root:www-data and permissions to rw-rw-rw-, but when I
try to enable permalinks it tells me I should update my .htaccess since it
was not able to write it directly.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Eric

RPMs and DEBs are a pain, particularly when compared with a .tar.gz. Simple
as that. Plus there's package maintenance. Nobody is building those sorts of
things at the web app level. I am 100% certain that if you had a solution
that would auto-build WP packages for all major distros on version bumps,
the Core WordPress team would be more than willing to listen, and Otto/Nacin
would perhaps consider throwing it up on wordpress.org.

What makes more sense is a Puppet/Chef/SaltStack/Ansible installer, instead.

Eric:
You want to run `wp user set-role`. Do `wp help user set-role` first to see
what options you'll need to pass it.

WP-CLI is a wonderful thing, particularly if you've ever used Drush.