Doug Stewart on 11 Mar 2014 13:42:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Back to wordpress

North or West could work, with North being my preference. 5/20, 6/10 or 6/16 look like possibilities.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Paul L. Snyder <paul@pataprogramming.com> wrote:
Doug,

I just discovered the joys of WP-CLI a couple of weeks ago, and it has
already made my life far easier.

Want to share the love and sign up for a speaker slot? Sounds like it'd
be a good topic.

Available dates can be seen on http://phillylinux.org/meetings.html

Paul

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014, Doug Stewart wrote:

> I should come and give my talk on the wonders of WP-CLI and Puppet WP,
> then. *grin*
>
> Ease the burden considerably. Additionally, WP 3.8+ will now
> automatically update to minor dot-revs (eg the recent 3.8->3.8.1 update)
> unless specifically told to do otherwise.
>
> --
> Doug Stewart
>
> > On Mar 5, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> RPMs and DEBs are a pain, particularly when compared with a .tar.gz. Simple
> >> as that. Plus there's package maintenance. Nobody is building those sorts of
> >> things at the web app level. I am 100% certain that if you had a solution
> >> that would auto-build WP packages for all major distros on version bumps,
> >> the Core WordPress team would be more than willing to listen, and Otto/Nacin
> >> would perhaps consider throwing it up on wordpress.org.
> >
> > By that kind of logic, we should just all run Linux-from-scratch.  No
> > tool makes it easy to auto-build packages for all major distros on
> > version bumps for anything.  Frankly, a web-based app is much easier
> > to package up than most since you don't have to worry about linking it
> > against 300 different variations in library versions.
> >
> > However, most upstream development teams share this attitude, which is
> > why distros do most of the packaging themselves.  I can probably count
> > on one hand the number of upstreams that create Gentoo ebuilds, and
> > yet Gentoo has about 38k package-versions in the repository.
> >
> > Sure, a tarball makes it easy to install one thing once.  The problem
> > is that a typical GNU/Linux system has hundreds of packages installed
> > with a half-dozen being updated daily.  That is painful to manage on
> > Slackware, let alone with nothing but tarballs.
> >
> > Rich

-Doug