Lowell Higley on 18 Nov 2014 04:11:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Cut The Cord - How to Start?

I cut the cord (well, took down the dish) over a year ago and just did without.. well, I used Netflix and Amazon Prime on my PS3.

Recently, I started trying LinuxMCE. I built a modestly powered PC as the server and put an HD card (pcTV 5500) in it. I connected the pcTV to a cheap Amazon Basics HD indoor antenna. I then built a fairly lower powered PC that acts as the media director and connected my TV to it.  I use a Nexus 7 as an orbiter.

LinuxMCE is basically a distro on a single DVD that has all the software you need to setup a home entertainment/security/home automation PC/Network.  They integrate MythTV, Asterick, Pluto, etc. into a single environment. The LinuxMCE architecture calls for a server (called the "core"), pc's for each TV (the "media directors") and smart remotes (called "orbiters"). I haven't played with the security, home automation (X11, zWave, etc.) stuff yet.

It works pretty well. I can plop my butt on the couch and control everything from my Nexus 7.  I was surprised how good the reception and playback from the HD is and how many channels are available. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied.

The PROS..
- It was pretty easy to setup.. everything in a single, fairly integrated distro
- I was surprised how many broadcast HD channels there were.  Between Jersey and Philly channels I think I have 40 channels but with many duplicates.  Except when it rains, the HD quality seems better than what I received on Dish.
- Good, whole house solution.  The architecture lets you have a multi-channel HD/DVR solution.  If you want to view/record multiple channels at the same time, throw in a another HD card in the ore

The CONS
- I'm not really a fan of the *buntu flavor of Linux. It's based on Kubuntu. I'd prefer something RPM based.
- The stable releases of LinuxMCE are far and few between... but there are bleeding edge nightlies.
- If you want a single TV solution, this is a bit too much (although they do say a single PC can act as the core and the director.)
- No "easy" Netflix/Prime integration into MythTV (maybe this will change with the recent Chrome changes).  I still use my PS3 for these.

My next steps is put a second HD card in my core and see if the HD antenna can drive multiple TVs at a time.  I may have to go with a whole house type HD antenna. I also want to play with zWave integration.

Lowell