Rich Freeman on 5 Jan 2016 08:11:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] password safe

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Thomas Delrue <delrue.thomas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/05/2016 10:27 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> By using Lastpass I can easily use random passwords for all of my
>> accounts, and easily change them.
>
> On a different, but related note, and for polling purposes: do people
> use random usernames as well or are usernames relatively constant (e.g.
> first.last[@domain] or first_last[@domain] or whatever)?
>
> Not trying to stoke the fire more, I'm asking for my own info:
> The industry always tells people that they shouldn't reuse passwords but
> there is never anything about not reusing usernames.

That's actually a great point.  I generally don't use random
usernames, but I guess I could.  I think this would be situational.
In cases where usernames are actually seen by humans and used for
identification then randomness is counterproductive.  However, if
nothing else random usernames probably helps to reduce the ability for
collaborating service providers to aggregate data, assuming they don't
have other identifying information.

I don't think it matters from a security context apart from privacy.