JP Vossen via plug on 13 Jan 2021 11:46:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

On 1/13/21 10:45 AM, Will via plug wrote:
Just found this, it seems to go markdown -> pdf which personally I find more appealing.
https://github.com/joeyespo/grip

THAT looks cool!  I'll need to dive in more.

Don't forget `pandoc` which can convert "lots of things" to "lots of other things, including PDF".

O'Reilly writes some books in Asciidoc+Git+WebGUI+back-end-tool-chain, and that works great.  I can write locally in an editor and commit via Git, then check a box in the Web interface to build a PDF in a few minutes, while meanwhile my co-author does it all in the web UI.  For local per-commit sanity checks I use Pandoc to convert to HTML or PDF.  I don't get all the ORA back-end special CSS & sauce, but Pandoc to HTML or PDF is close enough for a pre-commit sanity check.  As I understand it the back-end goes from Asciidoc to DocBook and then to things.  Writing in Asciidoc is *far* easier than writing in DocBook.

So I personally vote for Asciidoc and Pandoc, but--Github Markdown is...pervasive and worth knowing.

Later,
JP