K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 13 Jan 2021 12:15:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

I've mostly used Pandoc for converting between reStructuredText and Markdown and in my experience it works well for 90+% of most documents, so then I have to manually fix what it botched. It's much faster to do the whole conversion manually.

Of course, there are likely many other things Pandoc does really well, but it does not do the one thing I need it to do. Sort of like having a Swiss Army Knife that presumably does everything else well except the one thing you want to use it for.

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM JP Vossen via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 1/13/21 10:45 AM, Will via plug wrote:
> Just found this, it seems to go markdown -> pdf which personally I find more appealing.
> https://github.com/joeyespo/grip

THAT looks cool!  I'll need to dive in more.

Don't forget `pandoc` which can convert "lots of things" to "lots of other things, including PDF".

O'Reilly writes some books in Asciidoc+Git+WebGUI+back-end-tool-chain, and that works great.  I can write locally in an editor and commit via Git, then check a box in the Web interface to build a PDF in a few minutes, while meanwhile my co-author does it all in the web UI.  For local per-commit sanity checks I use Pandoc to convert to HTML or PDF.  I don't get all the ORA back-end special CSS & sauce, but Pandoc to HTML or PDF is close enough for a pre-commit sanity check.  As I understand it the back-end goes from Asciidoc to DocBook and then to things.  Writing in Asciidoc is *far* easier than writing in DocBook.

So I personally vote for Asciidoc and Pandoc, but--Github Markdown is...pervasive and worth knowing.

Later,
JP