Chad Waters via plug on 16 Jan 2021 08:19:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] car tracking

But, sure, it is a risk.  I'd still argue that your cell phone is a
WAY bigger risk across the board.  That thing follows you around
everywhere with a camera, microphone, and network access.

Yes. But I also consider privacy in regards to the phone settings and installed apps as they are offered to me, however futile they may really be.

This made me curious and found Toyota's connected services Privacy policy:
https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/

1)Probably the most interesting is that only last location is shared with Toyota's financial subsidiary in the breach of contract: essentially they only care when it's repo time.

2)They will share data with an insurance company only if you purchase insurance through them.

3)Data is retained for up to 20 years, which is a reasonable expected lifespan of a vehicle.

4)It looks like there's an app that consumer can use to gain access to the same vehicle usage and diagnostic data. It's mostly my wife's ride and she would have little interest.

5)Most importantly: there is opt out for at least some of the services and data collection. There is the opportunity to evaluate the tradeoffs and make choices. I'll probably be more conscious about it when it's time to trade in my vehicle.