Keith via plug on 5 Jan 2022 20:28:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Open source Mail client

On 1/5/22 10:34 PM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug wrote:
Just as a counterpoint, I work at a Fortune 50 company, and our email sigs are completely text. Formatted text, which is another can of worms, but we are specifically asked not to add any graphical elements to emails in-line.

Marketing has different rules, but it's a style-over-substance world there, anyway.

I would suggest that adding graphical elements to an email does *not* add prestige or respectability. Usually the opposite effect, IME.

I'm team text too.  My email client (web browser, Thunderbird or K9 on androidOS) can and does display graphics just fine but I find it slightly annoying and often don't load them.

For one, it makes a message busier than necessary- especially if the signature is 100% graphic or the graphic is animated.  I think many people find email to be a tolerated evil since it incurs some significant level of undesirable junk users have to suffer.  There are plenty of organizations that will do a corporate logo image.  I personally don't see the point of that but I've had this argument with A&M folks over the years.  They simply don't get it and have convinced many businesses that this makes sense to do so.  It is unfortunately not something that is going away.

For two, and this is my main counterpoint to having a graphic only or graphic emphasized email signature, it is much easier to copy the information or immediately use it.  When you select a phone number or address on androidOS it will offer logical things to do which are useful.  I am far less likely to save contact information if it is in a graphic so this is another case of keeping something simple because it works better.