Steve Litt via plug on 28 Jan 2023 01:30:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My Holy Quest for a WYSIWYG HTML Word Processor

Soren Harward via plug said on Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:48:32 -0500

>Yeah, Markdown was originally conceived to be easy enough to parse
>visually and write that you don't really need WYSIWYG. But it's easily
>rendered to HTML+CSS. So if you need something with more formatting
>than plain text, but easier to read/write than raw HTML+CSS or
>XML+XSLT, Markdown hits that sweet spot.

Welllll, sort of. Markdown is easily converted to HTML+CSS, but AFAIK
*onlY* for the few styles supported by Markdown. However:

1) You can include HTML within a Markdown document.

2) You can make your own tokens which, after conversion to HTML, can be
   converted to HTML.

IMHO #2 is the real key to productive authoring, if the author is
willing to live with the insertion of a few tags within his Markdown
document. I've been trying to make something like this for the better
part of a decade. When I finally do it, I'm going to do it in Python
because Python is the language most likely to complete a started
project. If anyone wants to help me either on the specs or the coding,
please let me know.

SteveT

Steve Litt