Rich Freeman via plug on 29 Jan 2023 04:15:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My Holy Quest for a WYSIWYG HTML Word Processor

On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 4:50 AM Steve Litt via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> if somebody asked how to replace ssh with telnet, you'd just
> tell them how without revealing what a bad mistake it would be?

Without additional context, how could you possibly know that doing so
would be a mistake?  :)

I get what you're saying.  However, it is a bit of a trope on FOSS
lists that somebody asks how to do A, and gets 35 replies that don't
explain how to do A.

I think the way to bridge things is to step back and get more context.
For example, in this case this started about finding an HTML editor,
and then half a dozen replies later it emerges that all that HTML
editing isn't actually a requirement.

I guess it was somewhat obvious already, but what I found interesting
in this thread is just how divergent HTML editing and document editing
have become.  A long time ago, when webpages were mostly fairly linear
streams of text, they were more similar (IMO).  Part of me wants to
say it is due to the need for being able to present html on different
types of displays, but with the rise of ebooks/etc I'd say that text
editing isn't really all that limited to fixed-size pages.  I think
what has really made HTML turn into a bit of a beast is the desire
both for dynamic sizing, and the desire to use it as essentially an
application UI.

For example, using markdown to generate HTML and so on is much more
straightforward if you're just using it to create the content of an
article, with all the UI elements existing elsewhere.  Honestly, if
you limited a WYSIWYG html editor to only THIS sort of HTML I suspect
the documents they generate wouldn't even be that bad.

--
Rich